Prophetstown State Park, on the northeast edge of Prophetstown along the south bank of the Rock River in Whiteside County, is a scenic and historic area offering a variety of recreational facilities. Once the site of an American Indian village, the 53-acre park derives its name from the Native American prophet Wa-bo-kie-shiek.
Prophetstown became a state park in 1947 in legislation sponsored by State Rep. George S. Brydia, who had served 10 terms as mayor of Prophetstown. Gov. William G. Stratton dedicated the park in formal ceremonies there on Sept. 18, 1953.