Pachaug State Forest is the largest State Forest in Connecticut encompassing 26,477 acres, in 6 towns -- Voluntown, Sterling, Plainfield, Griswold, North Stonington, and Preston.
Pachaug State Forest was established with a 1,011 acre land purchase from the Briggs Manufacturing Co. in Voluntown in 1928. In 1933, the first year the Civilian Conservation Corps began, Camp Lonergan was established in the Forest. As funding became available, the forest quickly grew, totaling 12,000 acres by 1937. The actions of the Resettlement Administration, in 1937, acquired an additional 9,000 acres and leased